Skip to main content

Leslie: Eating Out While on a Diet

When you are on a restricted diet where you are counting calories and limiting certain things like sodium, carbs or fat, eating out can be really difficult. You want to be able to enjoy it, but not completely blow your diet. I found some things to be helpful.

1) Plan ahead - many restaurants have their menus online and some even include nutrition facts like calories, fat and sodium. Look on their website and get an idea of what they have that you can eat. It may be that they don't really have anything, and you might want to choose another restaurant. Or maybe save it for a real special occasion. If you know before you go, it will be easier to decide once you get there and to order wisely. If you can't find a menu before hand, or they don't have nutrition info, an app like MyFitnessPal can provide information on many restaurant items,

2) Look for healthy options - lots of restaurants have special sections on their menus for smaller portions, or healthy, light, low-fat items. If they don't, look for items that are grilled instead of fried, and don't have lots of cheese or fatty sauces.

3) Don't fill up on bread sticks, salad or other appetizers. It's ok to have a little, but save room for the main course. If you order an appetizer, get one that you can share with others at your table, so you won't be tempted to eat too much. Put a reasonable portion on your plate, and don't eat any more. If no one else wants it, take the rest home with you.

4) When ordering salad, choose a low-fat dressing, and ask for it on the side. Excessive dressing adds a lot of calories. Drizzle it on as you eat or dip a forkful at a time into the dressing. Also watch the extras. While meat in a salad provides protein, it also can be very fatty or salty. Grilled chicken breast is usually the only meat I get in a salad. While bacon is GOOD, it has a lot of sodium. So do a lot of fish varieties. Choose grilled not fried or battered.

5) Drink plain water with a slice of lemon, or order sparkling water or seltzer instead of soda pop. Unsweetened iced or hot tea are good options too. You can also add a bit of sugar free sweetener if you like.

6) At many restaurants the main course is really large. Split your entree with someone else at your table, or when your entree comes, mentally divide your plate in two. Eat half of the food, and ask for a container and bring home the rest for another meal.

7) Eat slowly. Savor and enjoy your food. If you eat quickly, you can eat too much before you realize you are full. Stop eating when you are full even if it's not half done. Ask for a container and bring the rest home.

8) If you order a dessert, choose a small one, or one that can be divided and the rest brought home for later. Or skip the dessert and have a more healthy, smaller treat later at home.

9) Avoid all-you-can eat food bars. It's just really hard not to eat too much.

With a little bit of preparation, thought and the determination to stick to your diet, you can go out to eat and enjoy it!

What tips have you found to be helpful when eating out on a diet? 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leslie's Weight Loss Journey

Denni asked me to write something about my recent weight loss, why and how I did it. So here it is: Just over three years ago, I went to the doctor when I was ill, and she did some blood tests. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and pre-diabetes. She said I needed to lose a lot of weight. I was in danger of a stroke or heart attack if I didn't lose weight and eat in a more healthy way. We decided what a healthy weight range would be for me, and the amount I needed to lose. It was: 100 pounds! It took me three years, but last August, I reached my goal weight. I also reduced my high blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels. People ask me all the time what my secret was. It's simple really. I ate less, and I exercised more. Yes, that's really what I did. In addition to cutting calories, because of my test results, I also had to reduce my salt intake, and the amount of sugar and unhealthy fat I was eating. I downloaded an app to my

Overbooked - A book club for busy people

Have you read “If the Creek Don’t Rise” by Leah Weiss?  Want to read it this week?  Stop in the library and pick up a copy then join Overbooked Book Club on Monday, December 10 th at 10AM to discuss this book.   Overbooked Book Club meets once a month, the 2 nd Monday of the month.  We choose books under 400 pages long and meet for about 30-45minutes to discuss.  We are busy moms who like to read and enjoy trying a variety of books.  Suggestions are always welcome!  Check out this website about “If the Creek Don’t Rise” for a summary and reader opinions:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32804703-if-the-creek-don-t-rise Diane Resnick Delmont Public Library

Ann's Tips for Getting a Couch Potato Out to Exercise

I enjoy some kinds of exercise, but I find the mental monotony of some activities is worse than any physical discomforts. I'm a classic nerd, and would much rather be soaking up a book, a movie, or the junk I read on the internet than making laps on a track. However, I've found that I can often combine my favorite activities with an exercise and make them both better for me. Here are some of the things I do to entice myself to exercise: Indulging my inner artist. I would love to make art, but with no training and very little talent in drawing or painting, my efforts are mostly a waste of art supplies and time. However, I have a good camera I take on the trail. I carry it and its extra lens in a small backpack that has room for a water bottle, and I pause on trail walks to photograph the plant life and animals I see along the way. I've managed to capture plants I've never seen before, impossibly blue skies, heart-shaped wild vines, deer, honeybees, and some inte